Discussion Forum for Readers, Writers and Artists
It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:55 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: How do you start?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:07 pm 
2nd Lieutenant

Hi, everyone. I need your advice on how to get started. I have several story ideas, UFO-related, and other stuff, that I can't seem to get down onto paper. I'm working on outlines and narratives for my stories, but am having trouble turning them into a first draft. Did any of you have this much trouble when you started? Was there a process that you followed when you began writing. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Namaste,
Nyota

Post subject: Re: How do you start?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:31 pm 
Major

Location: Aut inveniam viam aut faciam: 'I shall find a way or make one'
Hello Nyota!

Oh help!! Its very hard to say what is the best way to write... everyone has very different methods. The only thing I can say about my writing was that I had an idea in my head (usually the end of a story!) and I thought about how I could get to that point, and then started writing! It helps to have some 'visual' point .. an image for example, that you want to aim for,...(in 'No Man is an Island' it was the image of Straker in the ocean that I worked towards) I suggest that you simply start writing and enjoy yourself. :D

If you want a beta-reader, I am more than happy to do that for you. ;)

You can contact me at lightcudder@edstraker.net
Cheers, LtCdr

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:41 pm 
Warrant Officer

I started by writing one paragraph at a time. the vision in my head was the river, the paragraphs were the stepping stones in the river as it flowed.
then re-write. ann really helped me and im sure will help you.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:57 pm 
Major

How do you start? That is a loaded question in a community of writers. I'm what they call a pantser. I start where the characters are at a given moment and go from there. Frequently I have no idea where i'm going until the characters tell me: this is it.

For more organized writers, outlining is good. A visual cue of some sort helps, something that sticks in your mind and you must describe as it happens or as it is. Sometimes you just need the words the character has said. Quantum Leap: the signature: Oh, boy. from the lead character delivered in so many different ways.

somewhere there is a story that starts: What the heck is an Altarian Spanner?, said by someone assisting another person to work on a car.

Find a situation, a statement, an action that will hook your readers and draw them in, make them want to find out what this ride is going to take them through. Make them care about the characters enough to take the ride.

Admittedly, UFO, like any other fandom, has a sort of captive audience built in, but you want them to come back again, and again, as they did for the original show.

Best of luck on finding your hook and your voice among the writers here and everywhere.